2011年3月18日 星期五

Pray for Japan, and for Hong Kong

The world is watching on Japan since the massive magnitude 9.0 earthquake and the subsequent tsunami and nuclear crisis stroked the northeastern coastal area on 11th. March . 


There are thousands of media coverages of this massive tragedy all over the world. Chinese and Hong Kong media and the netizens respond to the  Japanese earthquake in a sympathetic way even there is a slight inharmonious voice. I am happy to see people can put aside the historical issues and help the Japanese in a humanistic manner. 


I also noticed that there are many critics that comparing the Sichuan earthquake in 2008 to the current one in Japan. In 2008, the most vulnerable buildings were the schools while schools in Japan are the strongest buildings which can be used as shelters during earthquakes and equipped with life-aid bags. There are also coverages on how Japanese people staying calm and disciplined after the earthquake.  News tells that there are shops selling food at discount rate; people are helping the elder and the women; people queueing up for bus without any hustle. All these news coverages intrigued hot debate over Internet both in Mainland China and Hong Kong because the "cleaness" and 'normalness" of the aftermaths which are something we lack in our own culture.Yes, Japanese showed the world their merits and taught us a lesson. And  doubtlessly we need to rethink our own everyday behaviors and culture.


I have worked in a Japanese bank in Shenzhen before I came to CUHK. I still remember vividly I found a safety helmet under my desk on my first working day. Later, I came to know the bank give every staff a safety helmet in case there is an earthquake. The Japanese bank further surprised me that there was a separate room storing biscuits and instant noodles. I once entered that room the quantity of the food there were huge.  The the Japanese safe culture struck me deeply at that moment. But at the same time, I was doubting whether the Japanese were just making a fuss: there is no earthquake in Shenzhen and around and there won't be any according to "common sense" and historical records. 


It proved that I was wrong. A small earthquake happened just months ago in Hong Kong and Shenzhen. And similarly, the Daya nuclear plant, which is just 60 kilometers aways from Hong Kong, had slight nuclear emission two times months ago too. So we are actually not danger-free. 


I am thinking what if the earthquake and nuclear emission happened months ago in a bigger magnitude? what will Hong Kong people react? We do not reserve a safety helmet under the desk.  We do not have life-aid bags in schools. And we are so used to rush and hate people who is standing in our ways. We only think ourselves first like what we are doing now: stocking salt at home.


Fortunately, we do not have a big disaster so far. And we have experts and government officials telling us the Daya nuclear power plant is safer that the troubled Japanese one even they are both belong to 2nd generation technology. So we are relieved. We are relieved that we don't have to change our life and we don't need to fear the dangers which are only heard of. We simply sympathize Japan and have few debates over Internet. That's it. We certainly will sleep well during the night.


So let's pray for Japan, and for Hong Kong.



沒有留言:

張貼留言